Great news coming in for the fans of Kolkata giants East Bengal, as the Red & Gold Brigade is all set to play the Indian Super League 2020-21, after roping in Hari Mohan Bangur’s company Shree Cements as their principal sponsors.
The arrival of the new investor solved the club’s financial struggles in their way of crossing over to the ISL stable.
“The problem has now been solved. Now East Bengal will play in ISL,” West Bengal CM, Mamata Banerjee was quoted as saying by Goal.com. The West Bengal state government helped out the team in roping out an investor.
East Bengal’s oldest rival, Mohun Bagan made its entry in the Indian Super League by forming a new entity with reigning champions Atlético de Kolkata, earlier in the year.
The decision of East Bengal entering the Indian Super League now makes all soccer fans across the country awaiting a historic moment when Mohun Bagan takes on arch-rivals East Bengal at the ISL.
Former captain of the Indian Football team, Baichung Bhutia, took to Facebook to express his happiness over the decision.
“ISL here we come. Am so happy especially for the East Bengal fans that East Bengal gets its investor and we can see the club in ISL this season.”, Bhutia wrote.
The 2020-21 season of the Indian Super League will entirely take place behind closed doors, unlike other seasons due to the pandemic situation across the country. The matches are scheduled to be played in three venues across Goa from 21 November 2020 to 21 March 2021.
- TMC leader Abhishek Banerjee to hold rally in Tripura on Oct 31
- India among world’s top 10 for climate tech investment: Report
- BharatNet to improve broadband connectivity in North-East
- Submit plan for ‘permanent solution’ in Hills, Mamata tells leaders in north Bengal
- Heroin seized, drug peddler nabbed in Assam’s Barpeta
- China continues to bully its neighbours: Pentagon