Guwahati: Mumbai Indians pacer Lasith Malinga has opted out of the 2020 season of the Indian Premier League owing to personal reasons. Defending Champions, Mumbai Indians has named Australian Fast Bowler James Pattinson as a replacement for the Sri Lankan veteran. Mumbai Indians confirmed the same through a media release on their official Twitter page on Wednesday.
‘Mumbai Indians have signed Australian speedster James Pattinson as a replacement for Lasith Malinga for the Dream11 IPL 2020 season,’ the release read.
The release quoted owner Akash Ambani who said, “James is the right fit for us and adds to our pace attack options available at hand especially for the conditions we will play in this season.”.
Lasith Malinga’s father has been ill and is likely to undergo surgery in the coming weeks. Mumbai Indians stand in support of the legendary pacer in these difficult times, the release read, “Lasith is a legend and a pillar of MI’s strength. There is no denying the fact that we will miss Lasith’s cricketing acumen this season. However, we fully understand Lasith’s need to be in Sri Lanka with his family during this time.”
Also Read: IPL 2020 final schedule expected soon
Lasith Maling had earlier opted against traveling to Dubai with the team and was expected to join the team during the later part of the tournament.
Australian pacer James Pattinson, who will be replacing the Sri Lankan great is yet to play an IPL game and will look forward to having a good season with the defending champions.
- Northeast Church leaders extend solidarity to Karnataka Christians
- Assam by-polls: Thowra heading for a BJP win, Raijor Dal might finish second
- Covid surge in West Bengal: 24 containment zones created
- Nagaland: Hope and apprehension as primary schools reopen slowly
- Nagaland women commission chief’s ‘Good Patriarchy’ jab sparks outrage
- BJP should apologise to people of Assam: Cong on EC warning to Sarma