Troubles do not seem to be ending for the Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Chennai Super Kings, as their star middle-order batsman Suresh Raina has made himself unavailable for the entire 2020 season of the IPL just a day after as many as 13 members of the franchise’s contingent tested positive for the deadly coronavirus.
Raina has opted to pull out of the upcoming season and return home due to personal reasons. The franchise took to Twitter and confirmed the same on Saturday.
“Suresh Raina has returned to India for personal reasons and will be unavailable for the remainder of the IPL season. Chennai Super Kings offers complete support to Suresh and his family during this time,” CSK CEO KS Vishwanathan said on Twitter through the Chennai Super Kings official Twitter handle.
Though the exact reason for Raina’s return is not clear, a few unconfirmed reports claim that a close relative of the former India southpaw was allegedly found dead in Punjab recently.
Raina’s absence for the entire tournament will surely be a matter of concern for the Chennai Super Kings dugout as he has been always a key member of the CSK playing XI.
The 33-year-old has so far played 193 games for CSK in which he has been the highest run-getter for the team more than 5,000 runs, at a strike rate of above 137. Besides, he has also picked 25 wickets.
This will be the first time that Raina will miss an entire IPL season since the inception of the tournament in 2008.
Also Read: COVID-19 severely hits NF Railway. Know how
- Wrestler Ravi Dahiya settles for silver after losing final to world champion Uguev
- Police in Bangladesh recovers Lord Vishnu’s black stone statue
- RS passes bill to amend Scheduled Tribe list relating to Arunachal
- NPF is now ‘opposition-less’: Nagaland deputy CM Y Patton
- Sikkim reports 184 new COVID-19 cases, 2 fatalities
- Shillong Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for August 5