Guwahati: On Sunday, a 27-year-old medical practitioner lodged a complaint against her social media friend in Pune saying that he tried to extort Rs 40,000 from her by blackmailing her with her private pictures and videos.
The woman is a resident of Karve Nagar locality in Maharashtra’s Pune. She, in her complaint to Warje Police, stated that she had accidentally sent some private photos and videos to the alleged man when her phone display was damaged.
The friend in question is someone whom the complainant got connected to on a social networking site a year ago. The two bonded and even exchanged their contact numbers. According to the medical practitioner, she had never met the man in person and that his real name is also not known to her.
After she accidentally shared those pictures and videos, the man allegedly began threatening her stating that he would circulate them on social media if she does not pay him Rs 40,000. Police say that the complainant’s phone display got damaged in December 2019. According to her the phone’s touch sense pad stopped functioning properly.
It was due to this reason that she accidentally shared the pictures and videos. Subsequently, the alleged man then began blackmailing her with the intent of extorting the said money.
- Hunt for coronavirus variants: how the new one was found and what we know
- Tripura: 3-tier security for counting day, CPIM announces boycott
- Guwahati minor girl’s bravery, quick thinking foils kidnap bid
- Cannot be in situation where it is difficult to implement laws: Rijiju
- ICC calls off Women’s World Cup Qualifier over new COVID-19 variant
- Families stuck after sudden decision to ban flights to and from South Africa