Guwahati: Manchester United skipper Harry Maguire has been arrested on the Greek Island of Mykonos following an alleged fight outside a nightclub involving the local police.
The United skipper, who doubles up as a defender of the English national team, was on a vacation after United’s exit from the Europa League last Sunday and is said to have been involved in a heated row with fellow British tourists while enjoying a night out on the Greek island, on Thursday night.
Locals reportedly informed police that half an hour after midnight on Friday, two groups of Englishmen were fighting outside a bar and when police intervened to stop the altercation, one of the groups attacked the Greek police, verbally and physically.
As a result of which, the police made three arrests in the early hours of Friday morning, with the English defender reportedly among those detained.
Manchester United said in a statement that “the club is aware of an alleged incident involving Harry Maguire in Mykonos last night.”
“Contact has been made with Harry, and he is fully cooperating with the Greek authorities,” the statement said, adding that “At this time we will be making no further comment.”
Maguire’s fiancee, Fern Hawkins, posted a picture of the pair in Mykonos on her Instagram page on Thursday night.
- Naga Students’ Federation condemn Athuan Abonmai’s murder
- Nagaland gets first child-friendly court at Wokha
- What’s all the hype around Garena Free Fire Max about?
- Yemeni officials: Clashes over key city kill 130 fighters
- Top Assam Maoist Tingraj Orang surrenders
- Centre extends nationwide COVID-19 containment measures till Oct 31