Guwahati: Three days after a man residing in West Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh succumbed to COVID-19, three members of his family reportedly died by suicide.
Their bodies were found in the Godavari river in the early hours of Wednesday, the police said. The deceased include the COVID-19 victim’s 50-year-old wife, their 25-year-old son and 23-year-old daughter, Kovvur deputy superintendent of police K Rajeshwara Reddy was quoted as saying by media reports.
The 52-year-old head of the family succumbed to the coronavirus at a private hospital in Rajahmundry in East Godavari district on August 16. He was cremated by the civic authorities on Monday.
Reddy said that in the two-line suicide note, the son wrote that they were unable to bear the death of his father and hence all three of them decided to end their lives. Reddy added that the family was in a state of shock over the passing of their beloved one. They were allegedly depressed over the fact that no one including their relatives showed any concern for them for the fear of COVID-19.
The son who was working at a private company in Gujarat was a gold medallist in a mining degree. The 23-year old daughter was working in an IT company after being selected in campus recruitment. Both of them returned home during the COVID-19 lockdown period.
- Congress releases final list of candidates for Meghalaya Assembly polls
- Tripura polls: BJP to contest in 55 seats; ally IPFT to fight in 5
- Death and dying: how different cultures deal with grief, mourning
- PM to campaign for BJP in poll-bound Meghalaya
- Why it isn’t surprising when the pope says being gay ‘isn’t a crime’
- Space sector associations from Indo-Pacific join hands to explore new opportunities