College management allegedly failed to take initiative to maintain COVID-19 safety protocols on August 11

Guwahati: Days after EastMojo reported how over 400 students assembled inside Guwahati College premises to submit their examination forms — violating all COVID-19 safety norms — two students of the institution have now reportedly tested positive for the dreaded coronavirus.

This has created fear psychosis among a section of parents and students who were present in the college on August 11, the day the alleged unplanned gathering took place.

Pragyandeep Tamuli of 6th semester and Pranjal Das of 2nd semester of Zoology department of the college have been tested positive for COVID-19, according to reports received till Monday morning.

Coming down heavily on the management of the college for their alleged and surprising silence over the issue, Mukut Neel, president of the Guwahati College Students’ Union, said, “No one from college authorities would respond to our calls. There has been absolutely no communication between us on the issue. The students’ union has been circulating messages advising all students and staff that were present on Tuesday to be observant and exercise self-quarantine. The college management, however, has been silent on the issue. We have been trying to reach out to all the students and inform them about the two students, who tested positive, without getting any help from the college authorities.”

Also Read: COVID-19 safety protocols go for a toss in Guwahati College. Here’s why

The gathering inside college premises on that day

Earlier, the students had raised concerns against such a gathering to the principal of the college which were disregarded and it eventually led to the fiasco on Tuesday. The students were worried to assemble in such large numbers fearing the spread of coronavirus.

Pranjal Das, who has been detected as COVID-19 positive, is currently undergoing treatment at the COVID care centre at Assam Don Bosco University.

“Pranjal wasn’t feeling well after returning from the college on August 11 and, three days later, he tested COVID-19 positive,” says his brother, while speaking to EastMojo.

“He showed us photographs of the gathering, it could be clearly seen that there were no safety protocols maintained by the college management and we all felt worried at home,” added his brother.

However, repeated attempts to speak with the principal of the college turned futile as his phone was found “switched off” for reasons best known to him.

Earlier, the college management ordered all 2nd, 4th and 6th semester students of arts, science and commerce streams to submit their forms in the college office physically on August 11.

Also Read: OIL attempt to install BoP within 24 hours likely; global experts reach site

Patient Information Slip of Pragyandeep Tamuli

The college allegedly made no necessary arrangements for collection of forms by following COVID-19 protocols.

Leave a comment

Leave a comment