Imphal: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led coalition government in Manipur won the confidence motion moved by chief minister N Biren Singh through voice vote during a special one-day monsoon session on Monday.
The N Biren Singh-led government secured 28 votes in favour of the party, in the 60-member of the House. The opposition Congress party voted 16 against the ruling BJP-led coalition government in Manipur.
Speaking to presspersons after the session, former chief minister and CLP leader Okram Ibobi Singh alleged that the Assembly Speaker Yumnam Khemchand rejected the demand by Opposition for division voting and termed it as the ‘murder of democracy’.
Congress spokesperson Ningombam Bupenda Meitei also termed it an undemocratic trust vote and said that “Why was the Speaker acting against the constitutional demand of the Opposition Congress MLAs for Division vote against the trust vote on Motion of Confidence today? Why did the Speaker allow voice vote only, when the voice vote was not accepted by the INC MLAs?
The session which began at 11 am concluded late in the evening. There was a massive uproar in the opposition benches after the verdict.
Earlier, the Congress party questioned the government over banning live streaming of the assembly proceedings.
- Can sports innovate without losing the romance?
- Delhi HC sends to SC plea seeking uniform min marriage age for men, women
- Coffee doesn’t give you extra energy. Here’s what happens instead
- Expecting slowdown in Indian economy to 6.1 pc in 2023: IMF
- India condemns terror attack in Pakistan’s Peshawar city
- Scientists working to increase shelf life of millets-based products