Tinsukia: Two persons died and three seriously injured when a fire broke out in a building at AT Road in Assam’s Jorhat town on the intervening night of Sunday and Monday; the second big fire in this upper Assam town in less than five days.
The deceased has been identified as Gomti Devi, 72, and Satyanarayan Agarwal, 75 – duo from the same family.
Talking to this correspondent, deputy commissioner of Jorhat Roshani A Korati said, a major fire incident took place at a building Thakur Bari area of Jorhat town which spread to two more buildings in its vicinity.
“Two persons have died in the incident. Three injured have been shifted to a private hospital in Dibrugarh,” she added.
The injured have been identified as Mahendra Agarwal, 58, Krishna Gopal Agarwal, 55 and Usha Singhi, 50.
Altogether 13 fire tenders of state fire service, ONGC, Air force, NRL and from nearby districts were pushed into service to control the fire. “Prima facie, the reason of the fire seems to be short circuit,” Korati added.
- Arunachal Pradesh’s COVID-19 positivity rate dips below 1%
- ST status demand: Assam CM meets Tai-Ahom, Matak community leaders
- Assam logs 196 new COVID-19 cases, 5 fresh fatalities
- India records 26,041 new COVID-19 cases
- Bharat Bandh: Rahul Gandhi voices support for farmers
- Arunachal Guv asks village headmen to encourage people for vaccination