Guwahati: August 7 marks the 79th death anniversary of Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore. The legendary poet passed away on this date in 1941. His death anniversary is known as ‘Baishe Shrabon’ (Shravan 22, in the Bengali calendar) in Bengal.
A world-renowned poet, novelist, musician, philosopher, and more, Tagore donned multiple hats. He penned over 2,000 songs which are known as ‘Rabindra Sangeet’.
Some of his best works include Gitanjali, Rakta Karabi, Ghare Baire, Shesher Kobita, which have been translated into several languages.
Fondly remembered as Gurudev, he composed the National Anthems of two nations – “Jana Gana Mana Adhinayaka Jaya He” for India and “Amar Shonar Bangla” for Bangladesh.
Here are 6 famous quotes by the legend:
- “….Where the clear stream of reason has not lost it’s way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit. Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever widening thought and action. In to that heaven of freedom, my father, Let my country awake.”
- “And because I love this life, I know I shall love death as well.”
- “If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
- “The small wisdom is like water in a glass:
clear, transparent, pure.
The great wisdom is like the water in the sea:
dark, mysterious, impenetrable.”
- “I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.”
- “The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.”
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 20
- Watch: 5-yr-old ‘spider girl’ climbs up ceiling, does air-splits
- Shillong Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for September 20
- Oppo A16 with MediaTek Helio G35 SoC unveiled in India: Details here
- Babul Supriyo meets Mamata Banerjee: ‘Had a very good discussion’
- NRC published in August 2019 is final: Assam Foreigners’ Tribunal