The fire broke out at Shrey Hospital in Navrangpura area around 3 am on Thursday Credit: Twitter image

New Delhi: Eight patients lost their lives after a fire broke out in an ICU ward of a private COVID-19 designated hospital in Gujarat’s Ahmedabad. The incident occurred early on Thursday morning.

Eight fire engines and 10 ambulances of the fire department rushed to the spot as the blaze broke out at Shrey Hospital in Navrangpura area around 3 am. Three women and five men who were admitted at the ICU ward lost their lives.

Also Read: Assam: Sec 144 imposed as clashes erupt in Sonitpur district

During the time of the incident, there were about 45 patients who were admitted to the 50-bed hospital. They have been rescued and shifted to a civic hospital in the city, Sardar Vallabhai Patel Institute of Medical Sciences and Research.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi condoled the deaths in his home state. He wrote on Twitter, “Saddened by the tragic hospital fire in Ahmedabad. Condolences to the bereaved families. May the injured recover soon. Spoke to CM @vijayrupanibjp Ji and Mayor @ibijalpatel Ji regarding the situation. Administration is providing all possible assistance to the affected.”

Also Read: Assam govt plans to reopen schools on Sept 01 met with scepticism

Additionally, the Prime Minister’s Office has offered an ex gratia relief of Rs 2 lakh each to the next of kin of those who lost their lives. The tweet read, “Ex-gratia of Rs. 2 lakh each from PMNRF would be given to the next of kin of those who have lost their lives due to the hospital fire in Ahmedabad. Rs. 50,000 each would be given to those injured due to the hospital fire.”

Also Read: Nagaland govt home isolation guidelines for COVID-19 cases

Gujarat chief minister Vijay Rupani has ordered a probe into the incident. The hospital has been sealed and reports from a leading news daily stated that Sangeeta Singh, additional chief secretary (home) will be leading the probe. CM Rupani has ordered for a report within three days.

According to reports, the fire broke out due to a short circuit. The bodies of the eight deceased patients have been taken for post-mortem, said reports.

Also Read: Nagaland: 25-year-old Richard Yanthan recounts clearing UPSC in his 2nd attempt



Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment