New Delhi: Sun Pharmaceutical Industries has announced the launch of FluGuard (Favipiravir 200 mg) for Rs 35 per tablet. This is for the treatment of moderate to mild cases of COVID-19, said reports.
Originally developed for treating influenza by Japan’s Fujifilm Holdings Corp under the brand name Avigan, Favipiravir is the only oral anti-viral treatment that is approved in India for the potential COVID-19 treatment.
Kirti Ganorkar, CEO of India Business of Sun Pharma, was quoted as saying that with over 50,000 cases of coronavirus infection being reported daily in India, there is a pressing need to provide more treatment options to healthcare professionals. Ganorkar added that they are launching this drug at an economical rate to make it accessible to more patients, thereby reducing their financial burden.
The company said that they will be working closely with the government and the medical community to ensure that FluGuard is accessible to patients across the country. Additionally, stocks of the drug will be available in the market from this week.
Sun Pharma is India’s top pharmaceutical company and is fourth in the world in terms of the largest specialty generic pharmaceutical company. Favipiravir and Remdesivir — developed by American Biopharmaceutical Company Gilead Sciences — have now emerged as the most sought after medicines to treat COVID-19 in India. India itself has already approved the usage of the drug as an emergency treatment measure to fight the COVID-19 outbreak.
- 5 easy tried and tested one-pot meals to ‘Netflix and chill’ this weekend
- COVID in schools: How ventilation can help to combat spread of the virus
- Indo-Nepal joint military training exercise in Pithoragarh from Monday
- 2 Indian projects among 15 finalists for Prince William’s Earthshot Prize
- Gadkari gets Rs 4 lakh royalty per month from YouTube for lecture videos
- NIA arrests key conspirator in Manipur Rifles arms theft case