Kokrajhar: Five days on, the police on Saturday arrested Sukat Murmu alias Sukala, a rape convict who escaped from the isolation ward of Rup Nath Brahma (RNB) Civil Hospital in Assam’s Kokrajhar district on Wednesday.
He was arrested from the Lungsung area of the district on Saturday.
While confirming the development, Kokrajhar SP Rakesh Roushan said that Sukat Murmu, a resident of Shantipara village of Chirang district, was admitted to the RNB Civil Hospital in Kokrajhar after he tested positive for COVID-19 on July 25. He was lodged in the Kokrajhar District Jail since May 15 this year.
“In the intervening night of July 28 and 29, he fled from the jail by breaking the window of the verandah. After that, all were on alert, and efforts were maximised to nab him. Accordingly, he was apprehended at the Lungsung area of Kokrajhar district on Saturday,” Roushan added .
The police and medical teams brought him to Kokrajhar by following strict measures. He said that the police administration has deployed a strict security vigil along the hospital complexes where isolation wards have been set up in the district.
- 2 Indian projects among 15 finalists for Prince William’s Earthshot Prize
- Gadkari gets Rs 4 lakh royalty per month from YouTube for lecture videos
- NIA arrests key conspirator in Manipur Rifles arms theft case
- Central govt very keen towards welfare of Kashmiri migrants: Sonowal
- The Wire receives IPI’s Free Media Pioneer Award
- Relief package for telecom sector to aid NE connectivity too: Vaishnaw