Imphal: Manipur government on Saturday appointed Dr Rajesh Kumar as the new chief secretary of the state, succeeding his predecessor J Suresh Babu. Kumar is currently serving as the additional chief secretary (finance) of the state.
An order issued by Governor Najma Heptulla said that Kumar will hold the charge of chief secretary of Manipur with immediate effect until further orders in public interest.
In addition to the additional chief secretary post, Kumar, who is a 1988 batch IAS officer of Manipur cadre, will take charge as the chief secretary of the state, it said.
As per reports, Kumar ranked 10th among the Manipur cadre officers of 1998 batch.
Former chief secretary Suresh Babu retired on July 31 after having served the illustrious position since 2018. A farewell programme was held for the outgoing chief secretary by the general administration department in Imphal on Friday.
The latest development comes after the state-based student organisations had been demanding the government for an appointment of native IAS officer for the post.
- Assam NCC cadet clears SSB, to join IAF as flying officer
- Are you wearing the right mask to prevent contracting Covid-19?
- Manipur tribal leader’s murder: Video shows abduction in police presence; 14 cops suspended
- Arunachal: Single-day recoveries outnumber fresh COVID-19 cases
- BTS and Coldplay release highly-anticipated track ‘My Universe’
- Tripura: Two BSF jawans killed, one injured following scuffle