Shillong: By now every person in Meghalaya knows the name Meban Wahlang. The person who set a great example by declaring his infection to protect others around him. His lesson was to everyone to fight stigmatisation associated with COVID-19, which arises due to fear psychosis.
Meban’s Facebook post on July 25 immediately went viral. Applauded for his bravery with almost every citizen in the state wished him well.
Meban’s decision to declare his infection has now garnered the attention of Meghalaya’s pride, the famous Shillong Chamber Choir. The group is honouring Meban with a song ‘Make me a channel of your peace.’ Founder and composer of the SCC, Neil Nongkynrih sent out a message to Meban.
In a video posted on the official page of the SCC, Nongkynrih said, “Thank you so much Bah Meban for your courage to come forth and make known your illness at the cost of the possible shame and fear of being stigmatised. This is not something that should be despised because it is nobody’s fault this illness does not differentiate anyone. It can come from any angle. But what I’m most thankful for is the example you have been. And I, before God, along with my members, promise to continue in prayer for you.”
Following Meban’s footsteps, Shianivia Wahlang an employee of a pet clinic at Laitumkhrah came forward and voluntarily declared that she tested positive for COVID-19.
- Vishwakarma Puja 2021: Wishes, greetings and significance
- Vishwakarma Puja: Ancient marvels designed by the divine architect
- Assam: Biswanath girl, in shorts, made to wrap curtain to sit for exam
- Not an inch should be given to Assam: Meghalaya Opposition
- Dhoni part of 15-member defence ministry panel on NCC
- Mizo RS member K. Vanlalvena tests positive for COVID-19