Guwahati: With one more fatality from Golaghat district, floods in Assam have claimed 104 lives so far. Meanwhile in Kaziranga National Park (KNP), 132 animals have died due to flood and 162 rescued so far.
The Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA) in its morning update informed that over 20 lakh people in 22 districts across the state are affected by floods. Over 45,550 people are sheltered in 259 relief camps, and till Monday evening, 97 persons were evacuated.
Also Read: Cop suspended for assaulting a woman
Floods have hit 1,966 villages in 64 revenue circles, and 96,452 hectares of crops have been impacted.
River Brahmaputra is flowing above danger level in Jorhat, Tezpur, Goalpara and Dhubri; Dhansiri is flowing above the red mark in Numaligarh; Jia Bharali in Sonitpur; Kopili in Nagaon; Beki in Barpeta; Kushiyara in Karimganj.
As a precautionary measure, NDRF is pre-positioned in eight locations of Assam (Dhemaji, Sonitpur, Tinsukia, Jorhat, Sivasagar, Barpeta, Bongaigaon, Cachar), and SDRF positioned in 40 different locations of Assam.
Showing concern over the devastation in the national park, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge had also written to KNP director P Sivakumar earlier this month.
- What can we expect from the final UN climate report?
- BJP is just a tenant, not owner of democracy: Cong
- WB govt plotting handing over of state-run edu institutions to pvt sector: JUTA
- Education ministry preparing guidelines for students’ mental, emotional wellbeing: Pradhan
- US condemns attack on Indian consulate in San Francisco
- Meghalaya: World Tuberculosis Day observed at Purakhasia