Guwahati: Amid the increasing cases of man-animal conflict, an adult elephant was died due to electrocution at the Bogamati area near Bornadi Wildlife Sanctuary of the Indo-Bhutan border of Baksa district of the state at around 5 am on Monday.
The incident took place in the Tamulpur range while a herd of elephants crossed the wildlife sanctuary and ventured into the human settlement areas.
“One of the elephants came out from its herd and tried eating our vegetable produce in the fields,” said one of the locals.
It was there when the trunk of the elephant accidentally touched the live electric wires of the village which led to its death.
Bornadi Wildlife Sanctuary is a 26.22-square-kilometer wildlife sanctuary situated on the foothills of the Himalayas bordering Bhutan in the north and Udalguri district and Baksa District of Assam.
“We have informed police officials of our outposts and they have been here since the beginning and we have also informed forest rangers from Tamulpur range,” said one of the locals.
The people in the area also added that sights of wild elephants venture into the villages in herds are very common in these areas and that is why the villagers usually don’t come out in open at night.
“Earlier in 2019, we witnessed another elephant dying in our village,” said the local.
This was certainly not the first time that such incident has taken place in state as nearly more than 90 elephants have died due to the same cause from 2011 to 2020 in various districts of Assam.
Many officials allege that the major reasons for electrocution are due to the illegal electric fences and ill-maintained sagging power lines across Assam