Imphal: A final year post-graduate student at Regional Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Manipur has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday, the first such case from the hospital.
A statement issued by RIMS medical superintendent, Dr Ch Arunkumar Singh says, “a final year PGT student identified as Dr Najir Ahmad Bilhuda from the department of Physiology and Biochemistry tested positive. The two departments are to close down immediately until further notice.”
However, the source of infection is yet to be ascertained at the time of filing this report.
The hospital management sanitised the two departments by spraying and fogging disinfectants.
The faculty and staff of the two departments will undergo mandatory testing for COVID-19 today.
Contact tracing within RIMS has been initiated by the community medicine department of the hospital to control the spread of the virus.
The medical officer also instructed the heads of departments (HODs) and unit heads of RIMS to reinforce infection prevention and control measures strictly to contain the spread of COVID-19.
On Thursday, 64 fresh COVID-19 cases were detected in Manipur, taking the total confirmed cases to 1,764. 635 are active, and 1,129 persons have recovered till date in the state.
- Assam Jobs: Faculty HS School Guwahati announces 5 vacancies
- Arunachal governor inspects Sela Tunnel project work, praises BRO
- China says COVID-19 visa curbs against stranded Indians ‘appropriate’
- Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha
- NASA’s image of the ‘Hand of God’ in space has netizens baffled
- Meghalaya: Dr. Nalin Mehta is new NEIGRIHMS director