Imphal: A man who recently returned from Siliguri was arrested by Manipur police on Thursday after he escaped from a quarantine centre in Imphal.
As per reports, he is a repeat offender as he had earlier escaped from the quarantine center in Jiribam after arriving from West Bengal on July 14 amid the pandemic lockdown. Later, he was arrested by police from Silchar.
The latest incident happened around 9:30 am in the morning when the Siliguri returnee had escaped from one of the quarantine centres at Thongju constituency in Imphal East district, to which the volunteers alerted the police, according to reports.
Later, the escapee was arrested by Singjamei police and put at RD Wing quarantine centre of Lamphel in Imphal under strict observation, said additional health director Dr K Sasheekumar Mangang.
The man has been identified as Khumukcham Nongyai of Bashikhong Wangkhei Loumanbi from Imphal East.
Earlier, the police had also arrested two returnees for fleeing from the quarantine centre in Tamenglong district to meet girlfriends and then returned on a two-wheeler along with liquor and other intoxicant items.
- First theatrical release in 8 months gives life to Assam’s puppetry culture
- Prince Charles warns of narrow window to face climate change
- PM Modi meets Indian COVID vaccine manufacturers; CEOs say his leadership key force in vaccination drive
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray, mother test positive for COVID-19
- China attempting to reduce India’s influence in Mynmar, SEA: CDS General Rawat
- Arunachal searching for unsung heroes of India’s freedom struggle