Imphal: Rampant party-switching continues in Manipur with three more Congress leaders, including former deputy Speaker MK Preshow Shimray of Chingai constituency, joining the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Wednesday.
The other three include former United Naga Council (UNC) president Gaidon Kamei of Nungba constituency, former Congress MLA and member of Manipur Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) Jamhemlung Pamei of Tamenglong and Ngursanglur, the former MLA of Tipaimukh.
According to chief minister N Biren Singh, a group of councillors of Sugnu Municipal Council also joined BJP in a simple reception programme held for the new party members at CM’s secretariat in Imphal.
The newly inducted party members were accorded warm welcomed by CM Biren Singh and state BJP president S Tikendrajit along with other party workers.
Earlier, nine MLAs, including three BJP and four National People’s Party (NPP) members, had resigned from the party and withdrew support to BJP-led coalition state government while accusing CM Biren Singh for running the state affairs in autocratic manner.
However, later the four NPP MLAs, an ally to the N Biren Singh-led government revoked their decision and renewed their support to the present government in Manipur.
- RS passes bill to amend Scheduled Tribe list relating to Arunachal
- NPF is now ‘opposition-less’: Nagaland deputy CM Y Patton
- Sikkim reports 184 new COVID-19 cases, 2 fatalities
- Shillong Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for August 5
- Mizoram, Assam agree to maintain peace along disputed border
- IMA president: Lawsuit over Ayurveda remarks ‘design to harass doctors’