GUWAHATI: Following allegations of the increasing number of COVID-19 positive cases inside the Guwahati Central Jail, Assam minister for health and family welfare Himanta Biswa Sarma visited the jail premises and took stock of the situation on Wednesday.
Jails across Assam have recorded around 210 positive cases, which include 185 cases in Guwahati Central Jail. In the Assam Police, 608 personnel have tested positive till Tuesday of which 272 have recovered.
Announcing his visit to the jail premises, Sarma in his Twitter said, “After learning of the spread of #COVID19 in Central Jail Guwahati I along with Health Dept officials visited the site and reviewed the medical and other facilities. I have instructed officials to ensure best medical care, food and other facilities.”
Earlier, to press for their various demands, including improvement in the quality of food and healthcare facilities during the time of COVID-19 crisis, over 1,200 prisoners in Guwahati Central Jail staged a two-day-long mass revolt and hunger strike.
Some of the prisoners also allege that about 95% of the inmates are COVID-19 positive. They say that no arrangements are n place to control the spread of coronavirus inside the jail premises.
The minister on Wednesday also held a video conference with DCs, medical superintendents and doctors in Assam to review and discuss the current situation of COVID-19.
- Mizoram: Three held with heroin worth Rs 10.15 lakh
- Report: Suspected Chinese hack targets Indian media, govt
- Will work towards balanced relations with India and China: Nepal FM
- Defence MoS appreciates civil-military bonhomie at Arunachal’s Tawang
- 45 BJP MPs across India have kin in politics: Assam Congress lawmaker
- Nagaland logs 31 new COVID-19 cases, 1 fresh fatality