Guwahati: The Guwahati Press Club (GPC) has termed the recent arrest of journalist Rajiv Sharma in a case related to smuggling of cattle and cattle syndicates in Dhubri as unfortunate.
Following the arrest of Sharma, who is also the general secretary of Dhubri Press Club, his father died and the Guwahati Press Club has also condoled the sudden demise.
Meanwhile, the Guwahati Press Club has also requested Assam chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal, who is also in charge of the state home department, to intervene into the matter.
In the name of investigation, the journalist, who was doing a lot of investigative stories on the whole issue, should not be harassed unnecessarily, Sanjay Ray, secretary of Guwahati Press Club, said.
The leading journalists’ body has also requested the state chief minister to closely monitor and take the matter seriously.
- Making NE a strong economic zone important: Meghalaya CM
- Meghalaya home minister allays fears regarding HNLC diktat
- Delhi residents can now check real-time availability of burial, cremation sites
- More rain in store for Bengal; deluge likely in Darjeeling, Kalimpong
- Budding athletes from NE to get unique Diet scholarship
- Assam Cabinet approves measures to improve power connectivity