New Delhi: Leader of Patidar agitation, Hardik Patel has been appointed as the working president of Gujarat Congress on Saturday, while Amit Chavda remains president.
A press release from All India Congress Committee, dated July 11 said, “Hon’ble Congress President has approved the proposal of the appointment of Shri Hardik Patel As the Working President of Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee with immediate effect.”
Meanwhile, three new DCC presidents in Gujarat have also been approved. Mahendrasinh H Parmar for Anand; Yasin Gajjan for Devbhumi Dwaraka, and MLA Anand Chaudhary for Surat.
The appointment comes ahead of the bypolls to eight assembly seats in Gujarat vacated by MLAs who quit Congress to join BJP, just before the Rajya Sabha elections held last month.
Patel, 26, is the youngest ever person to hold this position.
In 2015, under Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti (PAAS), he demanded inclusion of Patidars in the OBC quota. The outfit had pledged allegiance to Congress in 2015 local body elections and 2017 Gujarat assembly elections.
Patel is facing trial under charges of sedition, rioting and conspiracy among others and has been arrested multiple times. He was released on bail in March in a rioting case lodged in Ahmedabad. Members of PAAS face cases in at least 15 districts of the state.
- Assam: 74 rare tortoises seized from Silchar-Sealdah train, 2 arrested
- Internet ban in Manipur again? Check details here
- Nagaland: Church condemns PM’s call for cleanliness drive on Sunday
- Ukhrul: Journalists boycott 24 AR over ‘harassment’ of reporter
- Mizoram: Serchhip district celebrates silver jubilee amid HIV, drug abuse concerns
- Tripura HC dismisses one of ‘10,323’ teachers’ plea, fines petitioner