Tinsukia: Assam’s BJP MLA from Sadiya Bolin Chetia and three other persons have tested positive for COVID-19 taking the tally of the positive cases to around 300 in Tinsukia district.
Chetia is the third MLA to test positive after BJP MLA from Patharkandi assembly in Karimganj district Krishnendu Paul and MLA of Barkhetri in Nalbari district Narayan Deka tested positive earlier this month.
Deputy commissioner of Tinsukia Bhaskar Pegu confirmed the report and said that the MLA has tested positive for Covid-19.
So far, two officers of district administration have been identified as contacts of MLA. “Swab samples of the officers will be collected and they will be sent to home quarantine till results are out,” added Pegu.
Additional deputy commissioner of health Monjit Borkakoti said the MLA has been shifted to civil hospital in the wee hours of Saturday. “Samples of his family members are being taken and they have been advised to remain in home quarantine. The contact tracing exercise is underway.”
“The other three cases are also field cases all from Tinsukia town. The details of the cases are being worked out,” he added.
The other three cases are from Borpathar, Raja Ali road and Parbotia areas of Tinsukia town – all community level cases. “All of them have no travel history but they were all are high risk positive contacts,” Sangeeta Das, district media expert of NHM, said.
Das said, samples of all the persons were taken on different dates. “MLA sample was collected on July 9 and he tested positive on the night of July 10.
- Watch: Can Bar Tshangay Falls become Sikkim’s next tourism destination?
- Naga peace talks set to resume as interlocutor, Assam CM step in
- Mizoram: Chakma villages threaten strike over disbursal of grant money
- Arunachal Pradesh gets four more oxygen plants
- Utd Democratic Alliance: Opposition-less govt a reality in Nagaland
- I-T dept: Sonu Sood, associates evaded Rs 20 crore tax, violated FCRA