Guwahati: Another five people succumbed to COVID-19 in Assam on Friday, taking the state’s death toll to 32.
Of these, four were admitted to Gauhati Medical College and Hospital’s (GMCH) ICU, and one at IIT Guwahati’s COVID care centre.
Annoucing this, state health minister Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma tweeted: “Hareswar Nath, 53 years old, a non-symptomatic patient with no co morbidities succumbed to COVID-19 at IIT Guwahati’s COVID care centre. His oxygen levels plummeted to 90 within hours and he collapsed.”
Meanwhile, the four deceased at GMCH have been identified as Rakhal Deb (42), Ramesh Kayastha (68), Sukhamay Bhowmik (72), and Arahi Baruah Saikia (70).
Assam has been reporting back-to-back COVID fatalities this week. Eighteen of the 32 fatalities in the state have been reported this week.
As per the last update by Sarma at 11.25 pm on Thursday, 568 new cases were recorded in Assam with 355 patients from Guwahati city alone. With this, Assam’s total COVID count stands at 14,600 cases of infection, of which 9,147 have been discharged and 5,423 are active.
- Watch: Can Bar Tshangay Falls become Sikkim’s next tourism destination?
- Naga peace talks set to resume as interlocutor, Assam CM step in
- Mizoram: Chakma villages threaten strike over disbursal of grant money
- Arunachal Pradesh gets four more oxygen plants
- Utd Democratic Alliance: Opposition-less govt a reality in Nagaland
- I-T dept: Sonu Sood, associates evaded Rs 20 crore tax, violated FCRA