Itanagar: Four of a family were buried alive in a landslide, triggered by incessant rains, in Tigdo village near Itanagar under Papumpare district of Arunachal Pradesh on Friday. Official sources say that the incident occurred around 2 am.
Tana Martin (22) alias Leij, Tana John (17), Tana Yasum (8 months) and Yabung Lindum were buried alive in the landslide.
Chief minister Pema Khandu took to Twitter to offer his condolences over the incident.
“Saddened by a tragedy that struck Tigdo village in Papumpare district this morning where four members of a family perished in a landslide. May the deceased rest in eternal peace. My sincere condolences to the bereaved families. Ex-gratia relief being expedited to the next of kin, ” said Khandu.
Also Read: NSCN-IM questions if PM Modi assigned ‘wrong person’ to solve Indo-Naga political issue
Incessant rains for the past several days have triggered landslides and flash floods which have left a trail of large-scale devastation in the entire state.
Taking stock of the situation, Khandu in another tweet said: “As per IMD report, there is likelihood of very heavy rain in next few days across Arunachal. I request everyone to take all precautionary measures & to refrain from staying at vulnerable locations. In case of emergency contact District Administration.”
Also Read: Meghalaya HSSLC exams: St Anthony’s students sweep toppers’ list
- Tripura State Rifles’ soldier kills self
- Manipur: Kuki students slam tribal body’s call to lift NH-2 blockade
- Assam: Environmentalists envisage ‘zero waste village’ near Chandubi lake
- IIT Guwahati retains 7th spot in ‘Engineering’ category of NIRF rankings 2023
- Nitin Gadkari lays foundation stone for two NH projects in Assam
- CPM leader slams BJP govt on law and order in Tripura