Vikash Dubey Credit: Twitter

Kanpur: Following his arrest on Thursday, gangster Vikash Dubey was killed in an encounter after a road accident while he was being taken to Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh from Madhya Pradesh on Friday morning.

Police say that the car in which Vikas Dubey was being taken — one of the three in the police convo — overturned on the rain-slicked highway after which the gangster tried to escape.

He was shot dead, like many of his accomplices who, according to the police, had also tried to escape from custody.

“The car overturned and the policemen and the accused were injured. Then Dubey grabbed a gun from an injured policeman and ran. The police team caught up and surrounded him and tried to get him to surrender, but he refused and started firing. The police had to fire back in self-defence,” the Kanpur police said in a statement.

“Dubey was injured and taken to hospital. He died during treatment,” said the statement.

Also Read: Wanted criminal Vikash Dubey arrested from temple in Madhya Pradesh

On the run since he organised the massacre of policemen at his village in Kanpur last Friday, Dubey was arrested dramatically on Thursday at the famous Mahakal temple in Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh.

He was spotted by temple security guards when he bought prasad and entered the temple. When he was confronted by the guards, he lashed out and was taken to the police. “Main Vikash Dubey hoon, Kanpur wala! (I am Vikas Dubey, the Kanpur guy),” he burst out, held by several Madhya Pradesh policemen.

Also Read: E-commerce sites selling ‘racist’ Naga costumes is cultural appropriation

The manner of his arrest, at a very public place and far from UP, led to speculation that he had decided to turn himself in at a time and place of his choosing.

Evading UP policemen on his trail for five days, Dubey had driven from Kanpur to Faridabad in Haryana, where he escaped from a hotel just before the police arrived. He then drove to Kota in Rajasthan and finally to Madhya Pradesh in a 1,500-km journey.

Senior UP police officer Mohit Agarwal had said: “We had caught many of his associates and a few were killed. So definitely he was trying to save his life and on the run.”

A petition filed in the Supreme Court on Thursday night had asked for security for the gangster and a CBI investigation into a series of encounter killings.

Five of Dubey’s aides had been killed in the past few days.

Assistant superintendent of police, Kanpur Anil Kumar said a police team consisting of officials from UP’s Special Task Force (STF) and Kanpur police were bringing Dubey on a transit remand to Kanpur. The incident took place around 7 am between Jhansi and Kanpur.

Also Read: WATCH | How 2 Arunachal locals entered Tibet through ‘India-China border’

Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment