New Delhi: Assam chief secretary Kumar Sanjay Krishna has ordered an investigation into a video that has surfaced on social media where Guwahati police personnel were allegedly seen partying and violating rules during the 14-day lockdown in Guwahati.
According to reports, some of the Guwahati police officials attended a party on board a ship on Brahmaputra river on the night of July 6. The video showed cops consuming alcohol during the night curfew onboard the ship.
Krishna has asked Guwahati Police Commissioner Munna Prasad Gupta to start an inquiry on the incident and take disciplinary actions against those who are found guilty.
“The report of police officials partying and having liquor reflects very poorly on the police department and displays a total disregard to orders under Disaster Act,” read the statement in the probe order issued by the chief secretary.
Guwahati is under strict 14-day lockdown as cases of local transmission of novel coronavirus are on the rise in the city.
- Bengaluru FC beat gritty Army Green 3-2 to enter Durand Cup semifinals
- Assam claims PFI behind police-peasant conflict in Sipajhar
- Arunachal will benefit most from oil palm cultivation: Khandu
- Legislature needs to revisit laws to suit ‘practical realities’: CJI
- Cong questions Shah’s silence over Assam border row, Sipajhar
- Under Taliban, thriving Afghan music scene heads to silence