Guwahati: Assam recorded the sixth COVID-19 related death on Wednesday as a 19-year-old girl with comorbidities succumbed to the virus. With this, Assam’s COVID death toll has soared to 22.
The deceased, identified as Monika Bhumij, was admitted in the ICU of Jorhat Medical College and Hospital. So far, it looks like Bhumij is the yougest COVID fatality from the state.
Informing about the death, state health and family welfare minister Himanta Biswa Sarma took to Twitter and said, “Sorry to inform that we lost a very young Monika Bhumij (19) to #COVID19. She had severe anemia and sepsis and was in the ICU of Jorhat Medical College after she was referred from Sivasagar. Doctors did their best but unfortunately we couldn’t save her.
Earlier in the day, Jitendra Prasad, 30, from Majbat, Udalguri admiited to Tezpur Medical College with features of Septicaemia in shock with history of herbal medication became a victim of COVID-19.
In the wee hours, another four persons had passed away. They were identified as: Safikul Rahman (60 years) of Hidayatpur, Guwahati; Romoni Mazumdar (60) of Patacharkuchi, Barpeta; Utpal Kumar Chaliha (75) of Kahilipara Dispur; Hari Prasad Mandal (68) of Lalganesh Guwahati. They were admitted in the GMCH COVID ICU succumbed to their critical infections early morning between 2 am to 5 am. All of them were on invasive ventilation, had severe pneumonia, urosepsis and septic shock.
According to the last update given by Sarma at 11.40 pm on Tuesday night, Assam stands at 13,336 cases of the highly contagious infection. And the upward tren in fresh cases continues to trickle in, especially from Guwahati city.
- Assam: Driver shot at during robbery attempt on vehicle in Nagaon
- TMC’s public rally: Sec 144 imposed across West district, Tripura HC declines to interfere
- Two pilots killed after Army helicopter crash lands in J&K’s Udhampur
- Shillong Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for September 21
- COVID-19 vaccines effective for cancer patients? Here’s what a study says
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 21