Shillong: After several youths were brutally assaulted at a basketball court at Lawsohtun in Shillong on Friday, the Meghalaya police on Saturday picked up 11 suspects for interrogation.
Issuing a statement, Assistant Inspector General of Police GK Iangrai said, “A criminal case No. 71(07)20 has been registered at Laban Police Station under sections 326/307/506/34 IPC; following which 3 suspects were picked up yesterday and 8 suspects were picked up today by police for interrogation. Statements of the victims as well as the bystanders have been recorded and further investigation of the case is in progress.”
The police have also urged all those witness(es) to come forward in helping the investigation team to ascertain the facts and circumstances of the case and, most importantly, to help in identifying the perpetrators of the crime.
The police have ensured that the identity of those who are willing to help the police team will be kept as confidential and will not be disclosed.
A stern warning has been issued to any individual who incites or breaches communal peace and harmony, as stringent action as per relevant provisions of law will be taken against them.
On Friday, several youths hailing from Laban and adjoining areas went to play basketball at Block IV in Lawsohtun. Gowever, around 12:30 pm, around 20-25 unidentified boys who had already gathered at the basketball court started assaulting these youths with iron rods and sticks, resulting in injuries to Arindam Deb, Subharshi Das Purkayastha, Saptarshi Das Purkayastha, Binak Deb, Bishal Ghosh and Prittish Deb.
- India records 18,795 new COVID-19 cases, 179 more deaths
- Former Pak captain Inzamam-ul-Haq undergoes emergency angioplasty
- Afghanistan, Myanmar will not address UN General Assembly: UN official
- Mizoram consumer affairs minister tests positive for COVID-19
- Protests over landfill site in West Jaintia Hills prompts govt action
- Online portal in employment exchanges among 4 govt initiatives launched by Assam CM