Agartala: At least a hundred intern doctors of Agartala Government Medical College (AGMC) staged a sit-in demonstration annoyed over the non-payment of stipends for the past two months, amid the celebration of National Doctor’s Day in Agartala on Wednesday.
Speaking with reporters, one of the agitating interns said that for the last two months they have not received their stipends following which they were compelled to call for a strike.
“We are working for over 16 to 20 hours on duty, yet the stipend is not paid for the last two months following which we have called for a strike today. This should not have been done at a time when the medical staff are working by risking our lives,” said a doctor, who didn’t wish to be named.
The medicos claimed that around 90 interns from all the departments were not paid the stipends for last two months following which they have called the strike.
The doctors also locked the entrance and placed placards that read, “No money-no work” and “Happy Doctors Day”.
“We have had a word with the Medical Superintendent (MS) and have informed us that the stipend would be credited in someday, but we told him that only once the stipend is credited, we shall return to work,” the doctor added.
Reacting on this issue, Dr Debashish Roy, Medical Superintendent of AGMC, said that there were some lapses for which the payment was delayed. “After meeting with the students I have personally looked into the matter and the necessary steps were taken,” he said.
“Even if you fight with me I cannot do anything since everything is not at our hands. The fill was sanctioned and the file has already reached the treasure department from where the payment would be made,” Roy added.
- First theatrical release in 8 months gives life to Assam’s puppetry culture
- Prince Charles warns of narrow window to face climate change
- PM Modi meets Indian COVID vaccine manufacturers; CEOs say his leadership key force in vaccination drive
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray, mother test positive for COVID-19
- China attempting to reduce India’s influence in Mynmar, SEA: CDS General Rawat
- Arunachal searching for unsung heroes of India’s freedom struggle