Guwahati: Eight doctors and laboratory technicians deployed at the laboratories of the microbiology department of Gauhati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) have reportedly tested COVID-19 positive.
Following this, the number of doctors and health workers affected in the virus at the GMCH has increased to 12.
Meanwhile, among the 140 new COVID-19 cases reported on Wednesday morning, 122 are from Guwahati alone, informed state health minister Himanta Biswa Sarma. With the new cases, Assam’s total coronavirus count has reached 8,547.
Cases of the highly contagious infection continue to rise in the state, especially in Kamrup (Metropolitan), as the district alone has reported 1,284 cases of the virus. Currently, Kamrup (M) — in which Guwahati city is located — is under a strict 14-day total lockdown to curb the spread of the virus.
- Amarinder Singh resigns as Punjab CM; says ‘feel humiliated’
- Book explores historical and spiritual landscape of communities in Northeast
- Watch: Can Bar Tshangay Falls become Sikkim’s next tourism destination?
- Naga peace talks set to resume as interlocutor, Assam CM step in
- Mizoram: Chakma villages threaten strike over disbursal of grant money
- Arunachal Pradesh gets four more oxygen plants