Guwahati: In a ferry accident on Monday morning near Shyambazar area of Dhaka, at least 30 people were reported dead.
According to reports, the Dhaka-bound launch named ML Morning Bird was hit by a bigger launch named Moyour-2 around 9.30 this morning.
The capsized ferry was carrying 50-60 passengers and it sank near the Farashganj Ghat of Buriganga river.
Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA), fire service, river police, coast guard and Bangladesh Navy’s diving team carried out the rescue operation and sent the bodies to Mitford hospital morgue. Meanwhile, some passengers managed to swim to the shore. However, it is not clear on how many people swam to safety and how manya re still missing.
- Making NE a strong economic zone important: Meghalaya CM
- Meghalaya home minister allays fears regarding HNLC diktat
- Delhi residents can now check real-time availability of burial, cremation sites
- More rain in store for Bengal; deluge likely in Darjeeling, Kalimpong
- Budding athletes from NE to get unique Diet scholarship
- Assam Cabinet approves measures to improve power connectivity