Tinsukia: At least three persons are missing after a boat carrying close to 8 persons capsized in the Dangori River at Baghjan Dighal Tarang area in Assam’s Tinsukia district. The National Disaster Rescue Force (NDRF) immediately launched a search operation in a radius of 2 km on Friday.
The missing persons were identified as Rocky Orang, Rajkumar Tanti and Lohar Orang; all three are from Baghjan Dighal Tarang belt.
According to sources, 8 persons had ventured out in the flooded Dangori River for fishing. “At one point their boat came in the grip of water current and turned turtle. Five persons who knew how to swim, managed to survive. Three are missing,” the source added.
Incessant rainfall over the past few days has led the Dangori River crossing the danger mark and flooding the nearby areas.
A source in the NDRF said, on receiving information by circle officer of Doomdooma, a team of 20 members were launched to conduct a search and rescue mission. “The team carried on the operation for a few hours, covering an area of 2 km, before suspending it due to darkness.”
The operation was resumed on Saturday morning with an increase in the search radius in the downstream side, the source added.
- PM Modi turns 71: Here’s how Nagaland celebrated
- Leaders of Lanka, Nepal wish PM Modi on his 71st birthday
- Daily COVID-19 vaccination crosses 1-crore mark for the fourth time
- India’s 61st Software Technology park centre opened in Nagaland
- How 35 people in Assam’s Udalguri came together to create a man-made forest
- Mizoram extends COVID-19 restrictions amid grim situation