Kolkata: In a rare incident, a 30-year-old woman in Kolkata found out that she was a man. The woman hails from Birbhum in West Bengal and has been married for the past nine years, say reports.
The woman complained of abdominal pain and was taken for treatment at Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Cancer Hospital in Kolkata. The doctors there found out that she is a “man” who is suffering from “testicular cancer”.
The doctors diagnosed that the woman was a patient of “Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome” in which a male has all the physical traits of a woman.
This rare and uncommon syndrome occurs in one out of 22,000 people and the doctors also diagnosed the woman’s 28-year-old sister with the same syndrome.
“From her appearance, she is a woman — starting from her voice, developed breasts, normal external genitalia. However, the uterus and ovaries have been absent since birth. She has also never experienced menstruation,” said Dr Anupam Dutta, who conducted the person’s medical tests, while speaking to the media.
“We conducted clinical examinations, after she complained of abdominal pain, and found out she has testicles inside her body. A biopsy was conducted, following which she was diagnosed with testicular cancer, also called seminoma,” Dr Dutta further said.
- Meghalaya home minister allays fears regarding HNLC diktat
- Delhi residents can now check real-time availability of burial, cremation sites
- More rain in store for Bengal; deluge likely in Darjeeling, Kalimpong
- Budding athletes from NE to get unique Diet scholarship
- Assam Cabinet approves measures to improve power connectivity
- Manipur Police marks 130th Raising Day, CM says memorial park nearing completion