Guwahati: With a view to contain transmission of COVID-19 in Guwahati, a total lockdown has been imposed in the city, effective from Sunday midnight, till July 12.
The 14-day lockdown in Assam’s Kamrup (metropolitan) district will be a rigorous. All establishments, offices, shops and services, including some essential commodities with be shut, except for pharmacies and medical services, informed state health minister Himanat Biswa Sarma during a press conference in Guwahati on Friday.
A review will be held a week later on reopening groceries and other essential commodity shops.
Also, night curfew from 7 pm to 7 am daily will be observed across Assam, until further notice.
A new practice of weekend lockdown will now be imposed across town committees and municipalities elsewhere in the state, effective from Saturday (June 27), informed the health minister. However, this has not been imposed in Guwahati immediately, as the city needs to stock up before undergoing the stringent 2-week lockdown.
An order from the office of the chairman of Assam State Disaster Management Authority said, “This order shall come into force with effect from 7 pm (1900 hrs) of 28th June, 2020 and shall remian in force up till 6 pm (1800 hrs) of 12th July, 2020.”
The prohibited activities are:
- Movement of individual shall remain strictly prohibited
- All govt offices, and private offices to remain shut
- All businesses/commercial establishments, shops, trade activities, etc will be closed.
- All industrial establishment shall remain closed.
- No public transport will ply
- Movement of private vehicles is banned
- Except for COVID-19 duty and flood duty, no passes will be issued.
- Hospitality services, religious places to be closed
- All social, political, sports, entertainment, etc, to remain closed
- Wine shops to remain closed
- E-commerce also won’t work
Defence, central and state police forces, Establishment of Dist Magistrate, Commissioner of police, Home guard,
Fire, disaster managemnt, electricty, water services and municiapl bodies to be open
Banks with skeletal staff to operate
ATM services to function
Power generation, telelcommunication, print and electronic media will be open
Transportation of essential goods, vehicles of health, fire, law & order, emergency services will be allowed
Hotels where people are quarantined will be open
Directorates and secretariat office to be open
Milk, medicine, baby food, water supply to be open
Railway, airplanes open
Agricultural and tea gardening activities shall continue
Also, critical infra project and activities will be exempted.
- World Bamboo Day: Assam and its bond with this versatile plant
- US court sets aside proposed Trump-era rule on H-1B visa selection
- Assam: Two militants of newly formed outfit killed in Kokrajhar
- Achieved all, never overstay welcome: Shastri gears up for end of tenure
- RN Ravi sworn-in as Governor of Tamil Nadu
- 2 spacetech startups get access to ISRO facilities to test rocket systems