Guwahati: Owing to incessant rainfall in Guwahati, a massive landslide was triggered near Kahilipara Power House around 7 am on Fiday. This resulted in the death of a local resident, identified as Usha Bora.
Bora, 72, was the landlady of the house. She reportedly suffered injuries to her head after which she was taken to Hayat Hospital along with three other injured persons — Hem Kanta Bora, Golapi Kalita and her son. Bora reportedly died in the hospital around 11.55 am.
Also Read: Arunachal Pradesh: Minor girl dies due to landslide in Itanagar
Meanwhile, Bharat Kalita — injured Golapi Kalita’s husband — was trapped under the debris after the landslide for quite some time. He was later rescued by teams from National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) after a five-hour-long operation.
The massive landslide was triggered due to the incessant rainfall. It eroded a guard wall along with the soil. These then fell over the house of Usha Bora which resulted in her death. According to sources, this was the second time that a landslide had occurred in the area.
Also Read: Sikkim pays tribute to martyred soldiers of Ladakh
Meanwhile, another landslide occurred in the Maligaon area of the city on Friday. Further details are awaited.
- Nagaland’s Entrepreneurs Associates sensitises women vendors in Dimapur
- Bangladesh tries fences to tackle growing human-tiger conflict in Sundarbans
- Outcome of 2024 elections will ‘surprise’ people: Rahul Gandhi
- Indian-American eighth-grader Dev Shah crowned 2023 Scripps National Spelling Bee champion
- HC pulls up Meghalaya govt for coal export without seeking its origin
- Assam: Hailakandi BJP leader promised ‘govt jobs’ for money, arrested