Guwahati: Following the death of two more persons due to COVID-19 in Guwahati since Friday, the total number of death due to the virus in Assam has now risen to 11.
While Bhabesh Kangsha Banik (72) of Jyotikuchi passed away on Friday, Lakhi Das of Pandu breathed her last at the Gauhati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) on Sunday.
Meanwhile, on Sunday, the Kamrup (Metro) district recorded the highest single-day spike of COVID-19 positive cases with 73 people being infected with the virus in the last 24 hours. The tally of those infected by the virus in the district till date has crossed the 400-mark.
With the spurt in new infections, at least five new hotspots in Guwahati have been identified, which include localities at Pandu, Fancy Bazar and Sarabbhatti. Several new areas of the city have also been made containment zones.
Four Guwahati Police personnel, attached with the Panbazar police station, have also reportedly tested positive after which a number of police officials have been quarantined.
Altogether, 198 new COVID19 positive cases were detected in Assam till 11.45 pm on June 21. Total cases in Assam have been registered at 5,586. Out of this, 3,404 have been recovered and number of active cases are 2,170.
- Assam: This social entrepreneur is building communities with tea and art
- Nepal: PM Deuba vows to protect, implement statute on Constitution Day
- Taliban-run Kabul municipality to female workers: Stay home
- WhileWeWonder: The duo speak about Xewali and their musical journey
- Girish And The Chronicles signs with Italian label Frontiers Music
- Backdoor entry in colleges should stop: Delhi High Court