Imphal: Imphal: Amid the frantic political drama between the ruling party in Manipur and the Opposition Congress, BJP candidate, the titular king Leishemba Sanajaoba got elected as the member of Rajya Sabha.
He received the certificate of election from the Manipur Legislative Assembly secretary M Ramani Devi on Friday evening.
BJP candidate Sanajaoba won the election for the lone RS seat by securing 28 votes, INC nominee T Mangibabu bagged 24 votes.
Chief minister N Biren Singh congratulated Leishemba Sanajaoba.
In the 60-member Manipur assembly, 52 members cast their votes. The remaining eight members, including three BJP MLAs, who had resigned from the primary membership on Wednesday night, did not exercise their franchise.
As per reports, out the seven rebel Congress MLAs, who had earlier joined BJP, three, Oinam Lukhoi Singh of Wangoi AC, Ngamthang Haokip of Saitu AC and Ginsuanhau of Singhat AC were allowed to enter the assembly to cast their votes. Four other Congress MLAs, Sanasam Bira of Kumbi AC, Ksh Biren of Lamlai AC, Y Surchandra of Kakching AC and Paonam Brojen of Wangjing-Tentha AC, who had reportedly rejoined the Congress party were barred from voting by the Speaker.
Meanwhile, four members of National People’s Party (NPP), including former deputy chief minister Y Joykumar Singh and health minister L Jayantakumar Singh took part in the voting.
- Watch: Can Bar Tshangay Falls become Sikkim’s next tourism destination?
- Naga peace talks set to resume as interlocutor, Assam CM step in
- Mizoram: Chakma villages threaten strike over disbursal of grant money
- Arunachal Pradesh gets four more oxygen plants
- Utd Democratic Alliance: Opposition-less govt a reality in Nagaland
- I-T dept: Sonu Sood, associates evaded Rs 20 crore tax, violated FCRA