Tripura Child Protection Commission chairperson Nilima Ghosh said that the minor was infected with coronavirus and was two-and-a-half months pregnant, due to which it was difficult to bring her back to the state at the moment Credit: File Image

Agartala: The High Court of Tripura on Friday heard the suo motu case in connection with the sale of a minor from Tripura to Rajasthan and directed the National Child Protection Commission to monitor the overall situation.

The court asked the commission to look after the 14-year-old who was tested positive for coronavirus and is being treated under isolation in Rajasthan. The High Court fixed the next date of hearing after 14 days.

The 14-year-old girl was reportedly taken to Rajasthan from Tripura in February and she was sold there. The girl was rescued in May after she fled from the house where she was kept by Mandawa police station under Jhunjhunu district in Rajasthan. Soon the information reached both the women commission and child protection commission.

Also Read: Resolve Galwan standoff through proper dialogue: Former Tripura CM

During investigation, the girl had confessed her identity and claimed to be a resident of Tripura. Later, the girl was identified as a resident of Unakoti district under Fatikroy police station during investigation.

Earlier on Thursday, the chairperson of Tripura Child Protection Commission Nilima Ghosh said that the minor was infected with coronavirus and was two-and-a-half months pregnant due to which it was difficult to bring her back to the state at the moment.

However, a team from the commission visited the house of the minor on Wednesday and a report was submitted. She also said that the minor was taken by a person named Raju Debnath to Rajasthan and later sold there. “He had taken her for education purpose, but sold her. The family members and the girl had no idea of his intension,” Ghosh said.

Also Read: After intense negotiations, China releases 10 Indian Army soldiers

Speaking with reporters, public prosecutor Debalaya Bhattacharye said that the High Court on Friday through video conferencing heard the case to know about the minor’s current physical and mental condition.

“The court wanted to know about the safety and security of the minor, therefore the Tripura had taken a suo motu case and had issued a notice to the Tripura home department, Tripura human rights commission, Unakoti district magistrate and National child protection commission and Tripura child protection commission in connection with the case,” Bhattacharjee said.

Also Read: Lift ban on new appointments, regd pharmacists tell Nagaland govt

He also said that the National Child Protection Ccommission has informed the court that the matter was discussed in detail with the Rajasthan police, state human rights commission and the state child protection commission. The national commission has collected reports from them.

“The commission has informed that the minor is corona positive and is being treated in an isolation ward and it is not possible to send her back to Tripura unless she recovers from the virus. The court has directed the national child protection commission to monitor the overall situation for 14 days”, Bhattacharjee added.

He also said that the High Court has also asked other parties to give in written statements. Bhattacharjee also said that the family of the minor does not want to accept her anymore, to which the High Court has directed to counsel the parents.

Also Read: How this bamboo treatment plant is creating employment in Tripura

Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment