Imphal: At a time when the state is battling the COVID-19 pandemic crisis, the N Biren Singh-led BJP government in Manipur on Wednesday received a big jolt following nine MLAs, including three BJP legislators, resigned from the party and joined the Congress.
Four members of National People’s Party (NPP), a coalition party of BJP government in the state, including heath minister L Jayantakumar Singh, deputy chief minister Y Joykumar Singh, tribal affairs minister N Kayisii and YAS minister Letpao Haokip, withdrew support to the BJP.
The state’s lone independent MLA of Jiribam and Trinamol Congress MLA has also withdrawn support to the BJP-led coalition government and expressed support to the Congress.
In a press conference, deputy chief minister Y Joykumar Singh officially announced the withdrawal of his support to the BJP.
“Everyone is aware the political development in the last few months in Manipur. In respect of this BJP-led government and the kind of treatment we received, including myself,” said Singh.
“We had deliberated in details about what will be the best course of action for the party keeping in particular the Assembly to be held in early 2022. Therefore, today we decided to withdraw our support to this BJP-led government and the ministers will resigned from their ministerialship,” he added.
- UK announces further military support for Ukraine
- Netflix announces premiere date of ‘Masaba Masaba’ season 2
- PSLV C-53 carrying Singapore satellites lifts off
- International Joke Day 2022: Jokes to make your loved ones laugh
- China opposes India’s reported plan to hold G20 meeting in J&K
- Recognise ‘Sarna’ religion for Adivasis, we are not Hindu: Assam, other tribals