New Delhi: Altogether 20 Indian soldiers have killed in violent face-off with China at one of the standoff points in the Galwan Valley, Ladakh on Monday night.
On the other hand, Indian intercepts reveal that Chinese side suffered 43 casualties, including dead and seriously injured in face-off in the Galwan valley, says news agency ANI quoting sources.
“Indian and Chinese troops have disengaged at the Galwan area where they had earlier clashed on the night of 15/16 June 2020. Altogether 17 Indian troops who were critically injured in the line of duty at the stand-off location and exposed to sub-zero temperatures in the high altitude terrain have succumbed to their injuries, taking the total that were killed in action to 20. Indian Army is firmly committed to protect the territorial integrity and sovereignty of the nation,” Indian army in a statement said.
Earlier in the day on Tuesday, minutes after issuing a brief statement following the initial report of killing of an Indian army officer and two jawans during a clash with the Chinese troops at one of the standoff points in the Galwan Valley, Ladakh on Monday night, Indian Army, amended the statement saying that there were casualties on both sides.
“During the de-escalation process underway in the Galwan Valley, a violent face-off took place yesterday night with casualties on both sides. The loss of lives on the Indian side includes an officer and two soldiers. Senior military officials of the two sides are currently meeting at the venue to defuse the situation,” the amended army statement said.
However, the earlier statement issued by the Indian army after the incident said, “While the exact nature of the violent confrontation is not known yet, sources said no firearms were used. During the de-escalation process underway in the Galwan Valley, a violent face-off took place on Monday night with casualties. The loss of lives on the Indian side includes an officer and two soldiers.”
Earlier, in a significant development that may further worsen the India-China relations, an Indian army colonel (commanding officer of an infantry battalion) and two army jawans were killed in action during a clash with Chinese troops at one of the standoff points in the Galwan Valley, Ladakh on Monday night.
Meanwhile leading news agency, APF, in its Twitter said, “#BREAKING Beijing accuses India of crossing border, ‘attacking Chinese personnel
Defence minister Rajnath Singh held a meeting with chief of defence staff General Bipin Rawat, the three service chiefs and external affairs minister S Jaishankar. Recent developments in Eastern Ladakh were discussed during the meeting.
This is the first time in decades that a clash involving casualties has taken place on the 3,488 kilometre border between India and China.
China’s Global Times quotes their foreign minister as saying: “China has lodged solemn representations with the Indian side and urged it to strictly restrain its frontline troops from crossing the border or taking any unilateral action that may complicate the border situation.”