Imphal: Personnel from the Assam Rifles and the commandos of Bishnupur police recovered a large quantity of drugs and cache of arms and ammunition from two different places in Manipur on Sunday.
Troops of Tengnoupal Battalion of Assam Rifles carried out search operation based on specific input on transportation of narcotics in Tengnoupal on Sunday.
One van was intercepted, with 50 packets weighing 655 grams of suspected brown sugar in soap case, worth crores in the international market.
One person identified as Ch Lunkholal Mate, 21, a resident of Tengnoupal village was arrested and handed over to the police along with seized narcotics for further investigation.
On the same day, troops of Assam Rifles along with Bishnupur police commandos recovered huge cache of arms and ammunition near Naurom of Nambol in Bishnupur district.
As per reports, the joint team launched the operation in the Naurom area based on information regarding the presence of two armed cadres of a banned outfit involved in extortion.
The team recovered three well-concealed packages containing the arms, ammunition and other items. The recovered items include one carbine, one country-made AK rifle, one Point 32mm US-made pistol, one country-made single barrel gun, two hand grenades, one improvised explosive device, two handheld radio sets and assorted live ammunition.
- India records 18,795 new COVID-19 cases, 179 more deaths
- Former Pak captain Inzamam-ul-Haq undergoes emergency angioplasty
- Afghanistan, Myanmar will not address UN General Assembly: UN official
- Mizoram consumer affairs minister tests positive for COVID-19
- Protests over landfill site in West Jaintia Hills prompts govt action
- Online portal in employment exchanges among 4 govt initiatives launched by Assam CM