A video that has been doing its rounds on Twitter shows an elderly woman dragging her mother, 100-year-old Labhe Baghel, in a cot to a nearby, Utkal Grameen bank to withdraw pension money of Rs 1,500 on June 9.
The video is that of Punjimati Dei of Bargaon village in Naupara district of Odisha. She was allegedly asked by the bank manager to provide physical verification of the account holder to avail the pension.
Dei alleged that she has been going to the bank for the last three months to release the pension amount only to be sent away by officials who insist on physical verification of the account holder.
Her mother is the account holder of Jan Dhan Yojana, a scheme announced by the Central government on March 2020 to provide a monthly sum of Rs 500 for assisting women during the lockdown.
After seeing no other option, Dei decided to pull her mother, who is bedridden on a cot to the bank. The bank quickly released the money after this.
This claim by Dei was however refuted by a district administration official saying that the bank manager, Ajit Pradhan who manages the bank alone, assured her that he would visit Dei’s house the next day to do the physical verification. Dei however, dragged the cot with her mother prior to the visit.
- India records 18,795 new COVID-19 cases, 179 more deaths
- Former Pak captain Inzamam-ul-Haq undergoes emergency angioplasty
- Afghanistan, Myanmar will not address UN General Assembly: UN official
- Mizoram consumer affairs minister tests positive for COVID-19
- Protests over landfill site in West Jaintia Hills prompts govt action
- Online portal in employment exchanges among 4 govt initiatives launched by Assam CM