A video that has been doing its rounds on Twitter shows an elderly woman dragging her mother, 100-year-old Labhe Baghel, in a cot to a nearby, Utkal Grameen bank to withdraw pension money of Rs 1,500 on June 9.
The video is that of Punjimati Dei of Bargaon village in Naupara district of Odisha. She was allegedly asked by the bank manager to provide physical verification of the account holder to avail the pension.
Also Read: Sick person in viral video at Zunheboto quarantine tests negative
Also Read: Kid tries to wake up dead mother at a Bihar station in viral video
Dei alleged that she has been going to the bank for the last three months to release the pension amount only to be sent away by officials who insist on physical verification of the account holder.
Her mother is the account holder of Jan Dhan Yojana, a scheme announced by the Central government on March 2020 to provide a monthly sum of Rs 500 for assisting women during the lockdown.
After seeing no other option, Dei decided to pull her mother, who is bedridden on a cot to the bank. The bank quickly released the money after this.
Also Read: Assam OIL fire: Army help sought to lay pontoon bridge; fire on
This claim by Dei was however refuted by a district administration official saying that the bank manager, Ajit Pradhan who manages the bank alone, assured her that he would visit Dei’s house the next day to do the physical verification. Dei however, dragged the cot with her mother prior to the visit.
- Artificial intelligence threatens extinction, experts say in new warning
- Tiger protection in India also saved carbon emissions: Study
- Number of frauds rose in FY23, amount involved halved: RBI data
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh interacts with Indian diaspora in Nigeria
- Meghalaya: Month-long campaign held to observe ‘World No Tobacco Day’
- Mamata seeks Central permission to visit Manipur