Guwahati: On charges of killing a leopard at Katahbari, Nizarapar area,, the Gorchuk police have arrested seven persons, including a minor. Efforts are on to nab the other culprits involved in the crime.
Locals in Katahbari area allegedly beat the animal to death and even removed its teeth and nails after killing.
According to the FIR filed by the forest department, the leopard was killed by locals around 9:30 am in Kathabari area on Sunday.
The incident came to the light when a video went viral on social media showing the locals, including children parading with the dead body of the leopard in the area.
A case has been registered at Gorchuk PS (bearing Case no 315/2020).
In its Tweet, Assam Police said, “Acting swiftly, @GuwahatiPol arrested 6 people, including a juvenile for the killing of a Leopard that took place today at Katahbari Pahar. Gorchuk PS Case No 315/2020 has been registered and investigation is on to apprehend others involved.”
Also Read: Arunachal: Elephant to the rescue
According to sources, the leopard had been visiting the area for the last several days, the locals had laid a trap for it. The leopard, according to villagers, looked weak possibly due to starvation.
- Manipur: Drug smuggler held with brown sugar worth Rs 6 crore
- Pawan Hans helicopter services launched in 4 sectors in Assam
- HC relief for Assam man whose late mother was declared ‘foreigner’
- Bengal Guv addresses to assembly, BJP MLAs stage walkout
- Half his plants died, but this Ukhrul farmer never gave up: Here’s why
- Sundance festival catapulting Indian documentaries to the Oscars