Agartala: Villagers of Guliraibari in Sepahijala district mourned the demise of a 34-year-old Indian Army havildar, Bijoy Debbarma, from Tripura who was martyred in the line of duty along the India-China border in Arunachal Pradesh.
“Havildar Bijoy Debbarma met with an accident when a large chunk of ice fell on him on May 22. He succumbed to his injuries while undergoing treatment,” an official informed.
Mourning at the demise of the officer, chief minister Biplab Kumar Deb took to Twitter, ”I pay my thousand salutes to brave son of Bharat Mata (India), pride of our state Bijoy Debbarma for his great Bereaved family members and pray for his peace”.
The mortal remains of the martyred officer was brought back to state on Friday and was kept in the state headquarters at Salbagan, around 8 km from Agartala.
On Saturday, he was accorded last respects before his body was taken to his native village in Gulibari under Sepahijala district.
- IIT-Guwahati working on generating hydrogen from water using sunlight
- Incredible to have Bollywood, dance sequence in Marvel movie: Filmmaker Chloe Zhao
- Two NE women, auto driver injured resisting snatching bid in Delhi
- No shortage of power in country, says power minister R K Singh
- Past and present India cricketers back Shami after pacer faces online abuse
- Assam lockdown? CM Himanta allays fear, says Covid cases under control