SILCHAR: At least 20 people, including three children, were killed in three separate landslides in Assam’s Barak Valley on Tuesday. Among the dead seven each were reported from Cachar and Hailakandi, and six from Karimganj.
In Cachar district’s Jaypur, Tajim Uddin Laskar, his wife and three grandchildren were buried alive when a mudslide hit his house at around 7 am. The bodies were later recovered with the help of Assam State Disaster Response Force and police accompanied by local people. The children are aged between 5 to 10. Several others were also injured in the landslide.
In another incident at Algapur in the state’s in Hailakandi district, seven people including four women and a child of two families were killed. The third incident was reported Kaliganj area of Karimganj district’s where six people including three women and two children lost their lives.
Several teams of the Assam State Disaster Response Force, police accompanied by local people recovered the bodies while the injured have been rushed to hospitals.
Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal condoled the deaths and asked the district administrations to take all necessary steps to help the affected families. He also asked the officials to sanction financial aid to the families of the victims.
- Modi calls for SCO template to fight radicalisation, extremism
- IT dept widens probe against actor Sonu Sood; search multiple premises
- Meghalaya yet to decide on oil palm cultivation: Forest minister
- Shenzhou-12 astronauts back on Earth after China’s longest space mission
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 17
- Need to increase mineral exploration in eastern states, says Centre