While tackling the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic and world’s largest measles epidemic in the Democratic Republic of Congo, fresh outbreak of deadly Ebola virus has added to the ongoing health emergency in the country.
The government on Tuesday confirmed that a new outbreak of the deadly virus is occuring in Wangata health zone, Mbandaka, in Équateur province.
Six Ebola cases have been detected in Wangata so far, of these, four have died while two are alive and under care. Three of these six cases have been confirmed with laboratory testing, said WHO, according to reports.
This is the 11th Ebola outbreak in the central African country’s history since the virus was first discovered there in 1976.
New outbreaks of Ebola are expected in the Democratic Republic of the Congo given the existence of the virus in an animal reservoir in many parts of the country, said WHO.
WHO is already on the ground in Mbandaka supporting the response to this outbreak, and contact tracing is also underway in the country.