https://www.eastmojo.com/assam/2020/05/26/despite-request-by-minister-rijiju-ne-bound-train-attacked-againSoon after Pakistan declared a national emergency in February to battle massive infestation of locusts destroying crops on a large scale in Punjab province, now India is battling desert locusts in the states of Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh. The locusts from Iran and Balochistan recently reached Rajasthan and are wreaking havoc on crops and farms.
While 16 districts in Rajasthan and 17 districts in Uttar Pradesh have been affected, Madhya Pradesh reported the locust attacks as one of the worst in 27 years. Four teams of the central government and state agricultural development are using chemical sprays with the help of tractors and fire-brigade vehicles to keep a check on the swarm of locusts.
This is the second round of locust attack in India. The previous one happened between December 2019 to February 2020 and multiple teams from the government were deployed to spray pesticides and keep a check on the infestation.
Scientists suggested that a number of cyclones in the Indian ocean that hit a sandy area in the Arabian peninsula has led to suitable breeding conditions for the locusts.
- Kerala landslide toll touches 18 as rescuers dig deeper
- Father’s responsibilities wouldn’t end at son attaining 18 years age: Delhi HC
- Weight loss & fad diets: Know the pros and cons before taking drastic steps
- Five natural homemade face packs for every skin type
- Plan to develop tourist circuit of places travelled by Srimanta Sankardev: Assam CM
- Assam reports 269 new COVID-19 cases