Guwahati: Former SSB jawan Sanjay Das, who was absconding after killing his wife, son and maternal uncle on Monday, was gunned down during an encounter with police at Hukanpukhuri, under Borborooah police station in Dibrugarh district on Tuesday.
Police sources informed that Das was hiding inside an abandoned government structure in the area with his pistol and ammunition.
Also Read: Retd SSB man kills wife, son, uncle; Dibrugarh police sounds alert
“During the operation, the police team which was looking for him managed to persuade him to surrender but he declined. However, to our utter surprise he opened fire at the police team. He fired some rounds on the police team and in self-defence police resorted to fire and he was injured. He was taken to the Assam Medical College and Hospital, but the doctors declared him brought dead,” Padmanabh Baruah, additional superintendent of police told media persons.
Police recovered the pistol, a loaded magazine, few live ammunition and some empty shells from the site.
Also Read: Timely aid by SSB men saves lives of 5 Bhutan tourists near Tawang
The retired SSB jawan allegedly shot dead his wife, son and maternal uncle in Dibrugarh district on Monday and fled with his weapon, prompting police to take to Twitter to “alert” citizens. The deceased were identified as Swapna Das, Nabajyoti Das and Ghana Kanta Hazarika.
- Canine experts seek end to practice of using police dogs for VIP events
- How to get free spins at European Casino
- BJP destroyed railways by stopping practice of separate budget: Mamata
- All you need to know about getting free spins on card registration
- Sikkim lists ‘pharma-related’ products as part of One District One Product
- NEDA convener Himanta Biswa Sarma to visit violence-hit Manipur