Guwahati: Former SSB jawan Sanjay Das, who was absconding after killing his wife, son and maternal uncle on Monday, was gunned down during an encounter with police at Hukanpukhuri, under Borborooah police station in Dibrugarh district on Tuesday.
Police sources informed that Das was hiding inside an abandoned government structure in the area with his pistol and ammunition.
“During the operation, the police team which was looking for him managed to persuade him to surrender but he declined. However, to our utter surprise he opened fire at the police team. He fired some rounds on the police team and in self-defence police resorted to fire and he was injured. He was taken to the Assam Medical College and Hospital, but the doctors declared him brought dead,” Padmanabh Baruah, additional superintendent of police told media persons.
Police recovered the pistol, a loaded magazine, few live ammunition and some empty shells from the site.
The retired SSB jawan allegedly shot dead his wife, son and maternal uncle in Dibrugarh district on Monday and fled with his weapon, prompting police to take to Twitter to “alert” citizens. The deceased were identified as Swapna Das, Nabajyoti Das and Ghana Kanta Hazarika.
- CoWIN can be customised, scaled up for health interventions: MEA official
- Sikkim reports 17 fresh COVID-19 cases, one new fatality
- Arunachal a goldmine for adventure tourism: Mountaineer Anshu Jamsenpa
- UP: Tension at Sankisa Buddhist pilgrimage site; saffron flag pulled down from temple
- India boosts firepower in forward areas along LAC in Arunachal sector
- Nagaland reports 18 new COVID-19 cases